Monday 28 August 2023

Looking to the future

One of the symptoms of seniority that I still struggle to process is this idea that people want to hear what I have to say and understand how they can (professionally at least) be me. It's a weird feeling, both humbling and frightening, and has only grown in the last few months. I'm being asked to speak at conferences, and in a few weeks I'm on a panel discussing the future of the Tech industry. Why? Surely there is someone better for this?

Honestly, this is a question I've been asking myself since my time in the Civil Service, where I found myself in a meeting discussing how to spend five million pounds of public money. I should write a post about getting over myself and getting on with it. This, however, is not that post.

I moved away from development into management so I could make a difference to the industry. How do people get into Tech? How do people move to more senior technical roles? Showing the importance of senior leadership with technical backgrounds, and helping people get the right experience to be credible candidates. These are core to my motivation and it seems I have the beginning of a platform. This is a responsibility I want to take seriously. What can I offer to the wider industry?

I've got a few ideas and since there seems to be a few people reading this blog from LinkedIn, I suppose I can offer them up. First and foremost, I'm thinking of creating a set of interviews with people in my position telling their story, talking about how they got to where they are today. I don't kid myself that I'm some kind of Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, but then neither are the overwhelming majority of people. I am, however, fairly successful in the industry. I'm in a position that someone getting into Tech can reasonably aspire to attain. Not inspirational perhaps, but practical. There are lots of people like me, and the stories don't get told often enough so I like the idea of creating some kind of resource showing the different paths people can take. At the moment I'm thinking a podcast, but format to be decided. If you're reading this and think it's an interesting or useful idea, please do reach out.

In addition, I sit on the London Data Board, and I'm happy to offer some time to support other initiatives if they come up. Again, do reach out - especially if they are something to do with nature or animals. On top of this, I already do some mentoring, and I've got a whole post about that coming up soon.

I opened saying that people asking about my career and how to "be me" is weird. Actually, on reflection, it's a weirder feeling that I'm in a position to be feeling a sense of responsibility to the industry and asking any of the above questions. It's a great privilege to be working somewhere where I can spend some time looking outwards and hopefully make a difference. That's my intention anyway - so I've written it down in public so I can hold myself to account.

2 comments:

Simon Field said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Simon Field said...

Some catastrophic typos in the last attempt! If you find yourself needing a broadcast engineer (who finds himself in more demand was ever expected), you know where you look!